The next iteration of the World Cup will occur from June 7- July 7 in 9 different venues. The draw completed a few hours ago was done at the Le Sein Musicale and arts center in Paris. With the top ranking going into the tourney, the US was one of 6 seeded teams then put into Pot 1 with the others, France as then the USA was last selected, into Group F. Jill Ellis, USWNT HC had this to say, "It's a good group, a European team, Asia & South America." Opening round game oppponent will be Thailand on June 11 in Reims, Chile is next up June 16 in Paris, lastly Sweden, June 20 in Le Harve. The US & Sweden plus 5 others have been in every World Cup. Only having faced Sweden of the 3 in the World Cup, the US hold a 3-1-1 advantage.
- USA last played Chile of all group members, 2x this year shutting them out on both occasions, 3-0 in Carson CA & 4-0 in San Jose CA.
- Last game with Sweden was a 1-0 win in Sweden for the US, last time facing Thailand was 9-0 US in 2016.
- There are 4 teams making their 1st appearance in the WC, Scotland, Jamaica, Chile & South Africa.
- The USWNT is the only one to appear in all semifinals, taking the Cup in 1991,1999 & 2015.
- 5 titles between the US & Germany yet never in a final.
- This tourney will be played at 9 venues.
-The 1994 final with the US & China drew the record crowd in the tourney, this year it will be played before barely half that should it sell out at 58,215.
- Overall the USWNT is 33-6-4 in the World Cup with a goal differential of 112-35 over 43 games, the games wins and goals are record totals.
- Michelle Akers holds the record for most goals in a game with 5 facing Chinese Taipei.
- Carli Lloyd has one of 2 hattricks in a final is matched Carin Jennings in 1991.
- Kristie Lilly has the most games in the World Cup with 30 over 5 Cups and Brianna Scurry leads with 10 shutouts over 4 Cups.
- A 6-0 win over Jamaica assured the USWNT a spot in this summer's Cup.